- Design & Construction
- Project News
Northern Connection (Pukerito Roundabout)
Pukerito is where the new Ara Tūhono – Pūhoi to Warkworth motorway will connect with State Highway 1 (SH1) at the northern end, between Hudson Road and Kaipara Flats Road. Pukerito will be an important landmark, particularly to the residents of Warkworth and to travelers heading to and from Matakana, Whangarei, and the Far North.
The name Pukerito was gifted to the project by Hōkai Nuku. It can be translated as ‘middle hill’ and signifies the general area as a gully between two hills.
What are we doing?
Overview of the upcoming State Highway 1 road closures
With work on the new motorway connections progressing, the focus for the northern end of the project is completing the final OPGA pavement surface.
Please check the information and schedule below regularly for any changes so you can plan ahead and avoid congestion.
Currently there are no planned overnight road closures at the Northern Connection, however there may be nights in the coming weeks, where there is stop/go traffic management on SH1 between Kaipara Flats Road and Hudson Road.
ASSET MAINTENANCE & MANAGEMENT (AM&M) BUILDING
Located between Pukerito and Auckland Transport’s Matakana Link Road intersection is the Asset Maintenance & Management (AM&M) building. This is being built as a maintenance depot and office facilities for the ongoing maintenance and operation of this section of SH1.
The location was chosen next to the roundabout for ease of access to the main alignment and to provide better response times in case of emergencies on the motorway.
KEY FEATURES OF PUKERITO ROUNDABOUT INCLUDE:
- A multi-lane roundabout with three exit points: The north-bound exit (onto existing SH1), the east-bound exit (heading towards Warkworth), and the south-bound exit (entering the new motorway)
- Widening of existing SH1 between the new roundabout and the SH1/Hudson Road intersection to provide two lanes in each direction (plus additional for turning movements)
- A left turn slip lane from the motorway to exiting SH1 (northbound)
- A left turn slip lane from the existing SH1 towards Warkworth (eastbound)
- A left turn slip lane from Warkworth towards the motorway (southbound)
- A shared walking and cycling path
Two signalised road crossings will be installed: one for Matakana Link Road and the other on SH1 South.
The wetland forest which previously occupied the low-lying ground on the approach to the roundabout from the south will be regenerated. Planting around the northern roundabout will be bold and will include a selection of locally relevant indigenous specimens.